They say you learn something new every day. While I am still unsure as to exactly who ‘they’ are, I do know one thing: ‘they’ are right. Throughout our days we are constantly connecting, conversing, sharing and yes, learning. We hear things, read things, see things and tweet things at such an alarming rate it is sometimes a miracle that anything sticks at all. Yet the things that make us laugh, make us think and make us wonder why we have never encountered such greatness before find their way beyond the clutter — and are now finding their way into this blog.
In an effort to enlighten and entertain, here is a quick round-up of the best tips, tweets and tid-bits from our lives lately:
- Affordable can mean awesome quality: Let’s be honest, few things surmount to the joys of a great deal and today I found one that the ladies will love. e.l.f. Cosmetics, a brand carried in Target stores nationwide, offers affordable beauty products for all women. And when I say affordable - I mean it. All products range in price from $1-$3 which to skeptics like me, reads poor quality that’s probably not even worth that. But one day wearing the brand’s matte lipstick (in red for an especially fierce Friday) and I am sold. Not one touch up and the color remains as intact as it was first thing this morning. Win!
- Grammar appears to be a lost art: As PR professionals, we spend a majority of our days writing. Be it blogs or releases, white papers or event plans, words are simply our way. Yet in this incredibly hilarious (allbeit painfully disturbing) BuzzFeed post, it appears as though proper usage of our dear English language is running the risk of extinction. Okay, not literally, but take a look at these literary fails if you happen to share my fear.
- There’s an app for that: And by ‘that,’ I mean everything. After a host of quick trips to multiple cities (both destinations and some oh-so-lovely layovers) already this year, I’ve quickly become addicted to Airports by TravelNerd. While tracking your flight time is key, this free app also allows you to access information about the airport itself. Where can you find WiFi? What time do the eateries close? I wonder if this guy wants to share a cab? Boom. Questions about your unknown airport are answered right in the palm of your hand.
- Support small, love local: Despite its sometimes questionable blunders, Phoenix is place I love to live thanks to great weather, stunning sights and ever-expanding crop of locally owned eateries and events. Things of note coming soon: Essence Bakery is making its way downtown, Roosevelt Row will be taken over by the fabulous event ‘Feast on the Street‘ on April 13 and the newly opened ChopShop Co. is an adorable south Scottsdale spot to enjoy a leisurely lunch or pick up a cold pressed juice on the go. Check it out!
- Swap it out to mix it up: On a recent media trip a journalist gave me a great tip: swap rum for vodka in your mojito for a refreshing take of the classic Cuban cocktail. This might not be Earth-shattering news, but I assure you it’s worth a sip.
And on that note, Happy Friday! Cheers!